It's 6:45 and we just got back from dropping Aliya and John John off at Wednesday night church. They have a children's program there and it gets the kids involved in church.
Two weeks ago, the first week, I was sideswiped by news that they were going to keep John John back in the babies class. Apparently, if you are not fully potty trained, you cannot move up. However, John John was the oldest kid in that class, by at least 6 months and 6 inches. He is potty trained, and goes to school in underwear, however he is 3 and 3 year olds have accidents.
So tonight, after a lengthy, emotional discussion with the preschool admin, she said we can try him in the older class tonight and see how he does. He is in a pull-up, and I know he will be fine, but here I sit waiting for the phone to ring.
I think part of me thinks that everyone is against my son because he is speech delayed, and I know that is not the truth, but it feels that way more often than not.
Back in his original pre-k 2 class at a church, John John was the 'bad kid' that was put in time out every day. Not because he was bad, but because he did not understand what the teachers wanted. That was so hard, to come and get your child and hear how bad he was, but to know that these teachers have no experience working with children like him, and so they put him in time out, rather than help him.
And that is how I feel now. I refuse to hold him back anymore. My son deserves to be with his peers. He wants that, more than anything.
The problem is, if he has an accident, they want him in the babies class, and that is where I will draw the line.
It's times like this that I thank God for John John's teacher at Shadowlawn, Ms. Maunz. She is a wonderful person. She is the best thing that has happened to him, and he loves her so much.






kso who do i need to beat up?
ReplyDeleteits mama nature to be protective of our children ....
unfortunately there are people who label based on one thing that in no way defines us....
I feel so strongly when people have something to say about ADHD...you can't judge the kid basied on the disorder---
I will beat someone up...just need a name!
I'll beat them up too. I will NO DOUBT be in your shoes VERY soon. You're doing the right thing by standing up and being an advocate for your son! Keep it up mama! ;)
ReplyDeleteThat is just appallling.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I know several 3 year olds that are not at all potty trained. The fact that they want to hold him back because of that is just ridiculous. Ridiculous!
You know what's best for your son and I'm proud of you for being able to stick up for him.
Like Sheree said, "Keep it up, mama!"
Keep standing up for your child. You know what is best for him. It is discouraging to think that teachers would hold him back for not being potty trained. I am especially surprised that a church program would treat him like this. I would think they would encourage and build up your child. I hope that everything will work out for your son because your are right, he needs to be with his peers. Be strong and fight for your son.
ReplyDelete